OUR RECOMMENDATIONS:

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Great Photography Is More Than Equipment

The photography industry has been very successful in generating an absolute hysterical interest in the latest technological innovation to the point of changing the perception of the general public into believing that great photography is simply a matter of having the right equipment. Many times I have heard from someone, "Well, I could do that good if I had a camera like yours." Statements like these totally discount my 35 year study of photography and over 10 year study of Photoshop. My normal retort is to encourage them to get a better camera. The problem with that is my statement is an affirmation of their core belief. Is there something we can do as serious photographers to help change this perception? I would like to think that we can by following a few simple steps.

First we need to be more open about what went into our high quality photographs to educate the public as to what goes into a great shot. For example, I go to Zion National Park a minimum of twice a year and each visit gets me more familiar with the area including mental notes of areas I want to photograph at particular times of year, time of day, and weather conditions. One shot has eluded me since I have started going there. I have a lot of work into that shot and not one capture. But one of these days the weather will be somewhat I like I imagined and I will get it then. But as of now, I have five years into a picture that hasn't been realized. Simply stated, there is a lot more to it than going there, snapping a picture, and leaving.

Second, when I first started in photography, I would just shoot away at anything that piqued my interest without the slightest consideration to composition what so ever. Fortunately, I befriended an artist whose medium was photography. This was the key to my growth because not only did my friend understand composition, he had the keen ability to explain it. I began studying art composition and this has been the difference in my abilities. So we need to talk exhaustively about composition not only in our own photography but about others as this will emphasize the attention to detail and planning that a great photograph requires.

Thirdly we must strive to be original. Granted this requires time and effort on our part but I think you will find every minute worth it in the end. Ever since Peter Lik created his masterpiece "Ghost" art festivals have been full of photographers selling their version of a southwest slot canyon with a ray of light peeking through to the point of clich?. We are not exercising our compositional imagination when we do this and it degrades the market and our value. We may earn a few dollars by doing this but at what cost?

The master photographer deserves their due. That thought runs contrary to a manufactures concern that they sell more and more units. Clearly there is more money in selling cameras than there is in selling photographs. And the manufactures have utilized their marketing dollars to make a very compelling argument that the camera makes the photograph. We need to start screaming from the top of the highest mountain that, "The camera is the tool the Photographer uses to create the photograph!"


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment