OUR RECOMMENDATIONS:

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Composition - A New View of the Viewfinder

Composition is not a subject that is talked about a lot in photography and there is good reason for that. Since the majority of money in the photography industry is in the sales of cameras and accessories, that is where the majority of the discussions lie. I don't fault anyone for that. In fact, I may be just as interested in the next gee whiz technological breakthrough as the next guy! But there is a clear void - and it's one that I want to fill.

I'm going to share a quick exercise in composition with you today that got me looking at my viewfinder in a completely different way. My compositions took a distinct jump in improvement after doing this exercise and I review it a couple of times a year to keep it fresh.

Pull a couple of sheets of paper out of your printer and cut them both to 6 x 9 inches. If you are a Photoshop user you can do this on the computer screen if you wish. On one sheet of paper draw two horizontal lines at three inches and six inches. Then draw two vertical lines at two inches and four inches. What we have is a structure of the classic rule of thirds composition. Lay it aside and let's move on to the next sheet.

On the second sheet of paper draw horizontal lines at one and a half inches and at four and a half inches. Then draw two vertical lines at one and three inches. Now set the two sheets of paper side by side and contemplate both compositions.

Which composition is more balanced? Which is stronger? Try rotating both compositions to see how it improves the composition. You'll notice the second composition changes markedly while the rule of thirds composition remains static and steadfast.

So how can we use this knowledge in our photography? I described the rule of thirds compositions as static and that is what happens when we snap a shot using the rule of thirds - it becomes static. But the second composition gives us choices that we may not think of. In certain orientations it appears as though the picture is going to fall over. The next time I'm in Pisa, I will use that property to full advantage at the leaning tower! Another orientation creates the feeling of motion from bottom left to top right. A trick I use often when I want to freeze everything in the picture but leave the viewer with the impression there is a lot of action in the shot.

I find a study of these simple line compositions quickly translates into an improvement in my photography. Previously, my compositions were muddled and uninspiring and I was confused about how to improve them. But once I started playing with these my photographic ideas became solid. I stopped trying to make something happen and started looking for ways to apply what these compositional exercises had taught me. Give it a try. I'm sure you will thank me.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment